"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Monday, October 13, 2008

10 years

I have been at Baylor for 10 years (almost 10 1/2 years)!!!! Unbelievable!!! Tonight I went to the awards banquet where they honored all the people with 10-15-20-25-35-40-45 years of service. If you can just imagine the long line I stood in waiting for my name to be called. LONG TIME!!!
This is me with the CEO of Baylor. I will be receiving a professional photo of this moment. It will be blown up to a 16X20 and displayed over my mantel.
Proudly showing off my ten year pin. I will be wearing this on the lapel of every outfit I wear.
It is funny that when I started working at Baylor, I had just started dating Joel, just moved home from TCU and lived at home with my parents, and had just turned 21 years old. It was my first job out of nursing school, the beginning of my adulthood. So many things have happened since my first day on the job at Baylor. Joel proposed to me on Christmas Eve in the NICU dressed as Santa Clause. I got married and had two children. I met my future sister-in-law (Rachel) at Baylor and introduced her to her now husband Jeremy. I taught a brand new nurse the ropes of the NICU while at the same time developing the best friendship I could ever ask for (Hillary). I had to deal with the loss of a sweet 8 month old baby that I took care of from the moment he was born. This is when I learned how incredible the people I work with are. I also got to share my faith with this family through the loss of their child. It still breaks my heart when I think of him. I could go on and on!!

I usually get down on my job. I want to be a full time mom like all of my other friends. I tuck my boys into bed on Wednesday night and don't see them again until Saturday morning. I miss things. This is hard. But, I am blessed. I couldn't ask for a better place to work where I only have to work two 12's a week. It is a support system of mine. The women I work with are supportive, loving, nurturing and fun to be around. I have learned and changed so much over the past 10 years. So much of it has come from my job. It is crazy to think about how many things would not have happened if I never had this job. So many lives I would have never touched. God put me here. So, I am blessed. I am super blessed. I thank God for this.

6 comments:

McDowell Family said...

Congrats on 10 years! Time really does fly by. It's been 13 years since we first met...we are getting OLD!

Rachel H said...

What a wonderful post, Erica. God did hand pick that job for you and you for that job. 10 years...wow. Guess that means I've now known you that long. Amazing. Job well done!

Hannah Grace Photography said...

You are so blessed...thanks for sharing those memories and experiences with us.

Jenni said...

I can't believe you have been there for 10 years. Congrats!!! By the way, cute dress!

Hillary said...

Ditto x1000 on the best friend part!

Jonna said...

You should submit this to Baylor...this is what they look for when hiring nurses :)

Oh, and LOVE the pic of you and JA!!