"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Pre-Thanksgiving

Happy Pre-Thanksgiving! I will be working on Thanksgiving Day and wanted to have a special Thanksgiving dinner with my family. I am tired of missing out. So, I invited my parents and Joel's parents over for dinner. I cooked the whole meal all by myself. This for sure was a first. I cooked for 6 hours straight. All of the recipes had so many ingredients and so much chopping. I spent several weeks researching recipes and planning out the menu. Everything turned out great!!
Waiting for the turkey thermometer to pop. The rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy got left out of the picture.
The Menu (links to recipes included)
Cranberry Sauce
I think I got an extra sour batch of cranberries because these were really tart.

Day Before Mashed Potatoes
Not pictured, but super yummy. I did not make them the day before, but it would have been great if I did. I would have spent a little less time in the kitchen.

Southern Cornbread Dressing with Apple and Cranberries
I was a little intimidated by the dressing. My Grammaw (dad's mom) had her own special recipe, Momma Pat (mom's mom) has her own special recipe. Could I live up to it?? I thought it was pretty good. I loved the cranberries.

Orange Scented Green Beans
I love fresh green beans. These are a favorite of mine.

Herb Roasted Turkey Breast with Pan Gravy
Well, after spending 30 minutes at the store trying to figure out which turkey to buy and having to stick my hands under the skin of the turkey to season it(so gross), the turkey actually turned out really good. The recipe calls for a boneless turkey, but I got a bone in turkey. It was really moist and flavorful. I usually don't like turkey because it is so dry, but I really like this recipe.

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
If you don't like pumpkin or gingerbread, then this is not the dessert for you. It is not lacking in flavor. I didn't realize that my parents are not fans of pumpkin, but I really enjoyed it. It looked really nice also.

4 comments:

Rachel H said...

Everything looks so yummy! Great job!

Gigi said...

It was a really great dinner, and we enjoyed it so much. You are a great cook.

Sandi said...

Great job Erica! I am glad you got to celebrate with your family! When are we going to hang???? Miss you!

Hillary said...

YUMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like it turned out great. That trifle looks so good...I wish I had that right now