"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Monday, August 31, 2009

Budget Gourmet

After being on the Dave Ramsey plan for 2 full years and successfully paying off all our debt (well, actually it will be in the next couple of weeks...one more payment ), I have learned the art of being on a budget. Over the past week I have tried to refine my grocery budget. Feeding 4 boys is starting to get quite pricey (even with the smallest one eating for free). We already go through almost 2 gallons of milk a week. My goal was to get our dinners down to $10 a day and try and use many of the ingredients I already had hiding in my pantry. Plus, I wanted them to be quick and easy. Did I succeed??

Meal #1
Chicken Stir Fry
Frozen Chicken Breast (already had)
Frozen bag of stir fry veggies $1.59
Box of brown rice $3.50
Teriyaki sauce (already had)
$5.09 total


Meal #2
PB and J Sandwhiches/chips/yogurt/cheese
Joel was out late, so we just ate easy
This was way under $10...we'll say $5


Meal#3 and #4
Grammy's Cowboy Casserole
1lb. hamburger meat ($4.99)
4 strips of bacon, crumbled (2.54)
1small onion,browned ($.50)
2 cans Bush's Baked Beans ($2.48)
1/4 cup molasses (already had)
1/2 cup Ketchup (already had)
1 tsp salt (had)
1/2 tsp dry mustard (already had)
1 tbsp worsteshire (already had)
Baked potatoes ($4.58)
Serve with side salad $2.50
Mix together in casserole dish, bake 375 for 30 minutes, serve over baked potatoes

Total spent: $18.59
$9.30/meal

Meal #5
Cajun Time
Brown Rice (already had for stir fry)
Sausage ($2.54)
Red Beans ($.74)
BBQ sauce for sausage (made my own out of ketchup, molasses, and dry mustard)
Cajun seasoning (already had)
Creamed corn ($.72)
Chocolate pudding for dessert ($1)
Total: $5.00

Meal#6
Jammie Night (a favorite of ours)
Pancake mix (already had, but really cheap if had to buy more)
Syrup, light (already had)
Turkey Bacon ($2.79)
Lil smokies ($3)
OJ ($2.99)
Eggs ($.99)
Total: $9.77

Meal#7
Little Caeser's Pizza (splurge)
2 large Pizzas $5/ each
$10

Total for the entire week was $45.40
I would call that a success!!! I came in way under budget. Let's see what I can come up with for next week.

4 comments:

Rachel H said...

You're making me hungry! I have never broken my meals down into a nightly cost. It would be interesting to see how much I spend. I am sure there are so many ways I could cut back that I don't realize.

Gigi said...

I am very impressed! You guys have done a great job getting out of debt, and I am so proud of you!

The Legatowicz said...

Very inspiring! I just saw a great new show on Food TV called "Ten Dollar Dinners"...I think it comes on Sunday afternoons, but all her meals are budget friendly, yummy and healthy too!

Sandi said...

Wow! great job!