"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer Reading List

I LOVE to read!!  It is what I do for down time.  It is what I do after the kids are in bed.  We don't have tv, so after 8:00, I pull out my books or kindle and just read, read, read.  The great thing about the kindle is that my sister and mom have loaned me a lot of books and I still get a lot of books from the library or from friends. I don't think I read one book that I did not like.  I loved them all.

I kicked off the summer reading The Distant Hours.  I have read her other books The Forgotten Garden and The House at Riverton.  This book was not my favorite out of the three, but still really good.
The Distant Hours

Roses is by Leila Meacham.  I loved it too.
Roses

Radical by David Platt.  I have not completely finished this book.  It was so much to take in all at once.  So completely convicting.  

The Hunger Game Series by  Suzanne Collins.  These books are hard to put down.  Once you start, you have to sit and read the whole series.  I can't wait for the movie to come out.
Hunger Games

  Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas.  This was a great parenting book.  I think every parent should read this.  

The Redemption Series by Karen Kinsbury.  It is a five book series.  I absolutely loved these books and fell in love with the Baxter family.  She is a christian author and the series is about God's redemption.  I had a hard time putting these down.  They are really easy to read too.  You can fly right through them.
The Firstborn series is a continuation of the Redemption series.  It is also a five book series.  My mom loaned me all these books on my kindle and I was so sad when the series was over....

But, thankfully, to my surprise...there were four more books!!!  The Sunrise Series.  The
Baxter family is a christian family that experiences happiness, trials, marital issues, new life and even death.  I loved how Karen Kingsbury writes and shows that as believers, we are not promised a perfect and happy life, but through our faith in Christ there will be redemption and He will not leave our side.  These are a MUST read!
Sarah's Key by Tatiana DeRosney.  This book was good, but really really sad.  It was about the holocaust and the story of a little girl who was sent to a concentration camp.  Very eye opening and so so sad.
Sarah's Key

I am not completely finished with this book, but I am loving it.  Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver.  I often keep myself so busy with life, the kids, cleaning the house...etc. that I forget to just sit at the feet of Jesus.  Great book!
Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World   -     
        By: Joanna Weaver

Raising Your Children with No Regrets!  by Catherine Hickam.  This is an excellent parenting book.  A friend of mine let me borrow it and it really spoke to me right where I am.  As Clayton gets older, I go into the unknowns of raising and dealing with an older child and this really convicted me on how I need to parent him and all of my boys.  
Raising Your Children with No Regrets: 7 Principles of an Intentional Mother


One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.  A dare to live fully right where you are.  A book about being thankful in the good and the "ugly" (ugly thanksgiving).  Finding contentment and thanksgiving in everything.  "He gives and takes away.  Blessed be the Name of the Lord."
And back to my fave Karen Kingsbury.  The Lost Love series: Even Now and Ever After.  I LOVE her books.


That is 27 books!!!  And no, I have not been ignoring my kids all summer.  

Books to read next are:
The Baily Flanigan Series by Karen Kingsbury: Leaving, Learning, Longing and Loving.
Sacred Influence: What a Man needs from his wife to be the husband she wants by Gary Thomas
Handbook on thriving as an adoptive family:Real life solutions to common challenges.  by David and Renee Sandford.
A Praying Life:  Connecting with God in a distracting world.  by Paul Miller.
Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers: A Voice in the Wind, An Echo in the Darkness, As Sure as the Dawn.

No comments: