"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Ethiopa Day 7


Today we went to Korah.  130,000 people live at Korah and it is where the trash dump is located.  Today we served the least of these.  We served the poorest of the poor.  The people eat and live off the trash dump.  I have never been so heartbroken.  My heart was shattered into a million pieces.  I cry now, three weeks later because I cannot believe this place exists.  I close my eyes and still see their faces.  People in America have no idea how truly blessed we are.  

We went to a church that is located in Korah.  The pastor of the church is passionate about the people of Korah and we were able to help 15 families right there in the church.  We clothed them, gave them snacks to eat and new bibles.


















The hardest part at the church was that there was an 8 year old boy who desperately needed new shoes.  They all did.  But, we didn't have his size.  All he wanted was a pair of shoes and he went to every single person saying "shoes?" We had none.  It broke my heart.  I felt so guilty that I could not give him this one thing.  I dug three times through our bucket of shoes and we didn't have it.  We then split up into two groups and went to different houses that the pastor felt had the biggest need.  We gave each house enough teff flour to last a month (this is what they make their main food out of) and we were able to bless them with bir (Ethiopian money) and pray for them.


























The conditions are hard to even explain.  I don't think I would believe people live this way unless I saw it with my own eyes.  This is the home of a mother and her two sons.  It has enough room inside for a twin bed.  No bathroom, no kitchen, dirt for floors.  This is how they all live.  Everyone in this country for the most part.









This is the "Kitchen".


This woman's face may not ever leave my mind and my heart.  She has leprosy. Her legs and hands are deformed.  This is her daughter.  Everyday I think about how I am back here, back in America.  I am in my 3 bedroom home with access to food, healthcare, and my cars....and she is probably still sitting on that hill in Korah, in the same outfit.
You can see the trash dump in the background behind these homes.

Children came out from everywhere just to hold our hands and be loved on.  They walked all through Korah with us.  

Every single house I went in, God broke me more and more.  Every time we walked into a house I said "please forgive me Lord, I am so ungrateful."  My prayers for him to break my heart for what breaks his and to open up my eyes to the things unseen has been answered.  My heart is broken for these people and I have now seen.

After Korah, we went to an orphange that is called Hope for the Hopeless.  This is on the wall of the orphanage.  Hope for the Hopeless takes kids from the streets and gives them a place to live until the age out and teaches them the word of God, they are schooled and loved.  One girl had been found on the streets beaten and raped at 13 years old.  She is now 16 and she was such a light.  We gave her new clothes and she shined.  You would've thought she won the lottery.  I have never seen someone so joyful over getting used clothing.  She was BEAMING and you could tell she felt like a supermodel.  These children had hope and it was so refreshing to see after being at Korah all day.


No comments: