"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Ethiopia Day 3

I loved this morning.  We went to Gelegela that is an orpanage for HIV children.  This orphanage was nice as far as orphanages go.  These children were well loved!  We got to love on them even more.  There were two older girls that I fell in love with.  They loved all the hairbows and accessories we brought with us.  We were able to give each child a blessing bag and new shoes and tons of suckers!!  Part of the team went to the store to get specific needs for the orphanage.  They came back with teff, flour, powdered milk, and diapers.  When we got home, the director sent this email to one of our team leaders. " The kids and staff were so happy. you know many people visited them but you guys were the first one to share the word of God and played with them. God bless you!" I know meeting more than just physical needs and sharing the word was huge on our hearts. And just know those kids and staff found joy in that! Praying for everyone now that we're back home. "










 Everywhere you go, a coffee ceremony is the customary way to say thank you.  They serve popcorn with it.  The coffee is really good, just needs quite a bit of sugar!!!


After the orphanage, we stopped to eat lunch on the side of the road on Mount Entoto.  As we were eating, a woman carrying 200 lbs. of eucalyptus on her back was walking down the mountain.  I have no idea how she carries this.  I don't think I could walk up and down this mountain with nothing on my back.  These woman do this everyday, three times a day and make and equivalent of three american dollars.  Ummmm...not much!  We gave this woman food, a new pair of shoes, a bible and many of us gave her money.  She probably walked away with more money than she could make in a month.  I fully believe this was a divine appointment with this woman.  


After lunch, we headed to the orphanage where we dropped the sheep off yesterday.  We did not spend too much time here, but were able to play with and feed all these children.
We all feel such a burden for the people of Ethiopia.  It seems that the meals, the clothes....they are all short-term, they will not fix the problem.  But, we have been able to share Jesus with them.  Even if it is just through our actions, they can see it.  

Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your soul.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  By God's grace and divine appointments, we are showing these people Jesus, and He will carry their burden.

No comments: