"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Monday, June 18, 2012

Ethiopia Day 5

Today was my favorite day in Ethiopia.  First off, I finally got some sleep.  Between the street dogs barking all night, roosters crowing, mesquitos biting and Carrie's BED (HA!)  it was really hard to sleep.  Even with earplugs and sleeping pills!!!  Carrie woke me up with 20 minutes until we needed to leave.  

Here is our wonderful team.  I love each and everyone of these amazing people.  I miss them dearly now that we are home!!

Today we headed up to Mount Entoto.  Our first stop was to buy 50 pairs of shoes.  We partnered with Beza Church and they had 50 women waiting for us.  We were going to wash their feet and give them new shoes and then each woman was given 3 sheep ( a male and two females) for them to raise and reproduce.  They all had been trained how to take care of the sheep.  One of the woman said she did not think we would show up.  She could not even imagine why someone would be willing to do this for them.  

Washing their feet was so humbling.  It was raining, it was muddy.  One of the woman felt ashamed that we were washing her feet and Bizzy (our amazing translator) began to tell them of Jesus washing the disciples feet so that they would know why we were doing this.  

John 13:12-17 "When Jesus finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?"  he asked them.  "You call me Teacher and Lord and rightly so, for that is what I am.  Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet.  I have set you and example that you should do as I have done for you.  I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.  Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

We were able to show them the love of Jesus through this.  It was amazing.  We gave them new shoes and a bible.  





We had purchased 150 sheep for the woman and I became a sheep wrangler in that moment.  It was the craziest and funniest thing I have ever done.  We had to figure out if they were male and female and then we had to carry them over to the woman and tie them up.  Love this picture of Carrie.

The sheep were not big fans of being wrangled, so it was a tough job.



It was so amazing to bless these woman in so many ways.  
After this, we went to a jewelry shop where all the woman have HIV and make the jewelry.  The jewelry was beautiful.  I felt like we were truly the hands and feet of Jesus on this day.  I know that these woman were touched.

No comments: