"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Monday, December 31, 2012

Remembering

Every new year's eve, I think of two very special people.  My Grammaw and Paw Paw.  They were my world and I was theirs.  I miss them deeply.  It hurts.  They have been gone for a long time now.  My Grammaw has been gone for 12 years and my Paw Paw for 8.  But, I have so many memories of them.  Every single new year's eve when I was a child, I would spend with them.  It never failed.  And they couldn't wait to spend this special night with us.  My parents thought they were the lucky ones to have a fun night out, but really I knew that we were the lucky ones.  My Paw Paw always bought special food just for us.  They bought champagne glasses and sparkling cider.  They bought jalapeno cheese dip, chips galore and ice cream.  Me and my sisters would spend the evening talking in British accents, pretending we were rich and calling our Grammaw "Mandy".  She was our maid.  We played Tripoley (a poker game) until the clock struck midnight.  Then we went out on the front porch with our poppers, screaming at the top of our lungs "HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!"  While Chad jumped up and down and made his pants fall down around his ankles.  Every. Single. Year.  The same thing.  It never changed.  It was one of the best days of the year. I love this day especially because of them.  Because they were my world and I was theirs.

No comments: