"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Friday, November 22, 2013

Cutting Back

This one is so hard for me.  My love language is gifts.  I love giving gifts and I love receiving gifts.  But, after our sermon series this last month called "Possessed" which was all about materialism and collecting more and more stuff, I have felt convicted to cut back this Christmas.  I always go way overboard.  Last year, I think my kids had 15 gifts each (not all big gifts, but still) from just us (I know...sad).  It just love giving gifts to my kids and family.  My kids have EVERYTHING they could ever possibly want.  So, this year I am sticking to 5 gifts.  Something they WANT, Something they NEED, something to WEAR, and something to READ.  And the fifth that doesn't rhyme...something to GIVE.  I am almost done with their Christmas shopping and I have been online looking at more and more stuff that they WANT.  I am so tempted to just keep buying.  "It's only $10 more dollars", "It is just one more little thing", "I can just sneak it in their stocking"....this is sooooo hard for me. My heart is racing just trying to control myself.   I want them to be happy.  I want them to get everything on their lists.  But, what am I teaching them?  They are learning to be possessed by their possessions.  They are learning that they get whatever they ask for.  They are learning all of the habits that it has taken me years to unlearn and still daily struggle with.  I want them to learn that we are richly blessed and everything we have is God's and that everything we have beyond our daily needs being met is excess.  We need to bless others with that excess and not collect more and more stuff for ourselves.

Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

No comments: