"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Giving

We decided this year to do an Operation Christmas Child box.  I thought the boys would pick a boy box to do because it would be someone like them, but they decided to do a box for a little girl "like Annie" (cue the tears).  After school, we headed to Target to load up our box.  I envisioned this happy shopping trip with happy boys picking out these gifts.  But, let's get real here.  We had fighting over which socks, which outfit, which doll, whose pushing the cart, whose touching who....my visions...SHATTERED.  By the time I got in the car, I just wanted to cry.  But, we got home and packed the box together.  Elliot truly thinks this box is going to Annie.  Oliver insisted on getting this Sophia the First doll to put in there.  We tried to find other dolls, but this was the one he wanted to put in the box.  I think they just each had such strong opinions on what this little girl would like that it caused some tension.  Next year, we will do three boxes.  

I did feel defeated and wasn't sure that they even grasped the concept of giving until Oliver's teacher sent me his writing assignment.  

Cue more tears.
I am so thankful that God has blessed us so that we can give.