"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Icepocolypse 2013

ICE...I do not like this word.  I don't mind it so much when it is in a glass, but when it is falling from the sky in forms of sleet or frozen drizzle, I'm out.  The main reason I dislike the ice so much is that EVERY. SINGLE. TIME we have an ice storm, I am scheduled to work.  This has gone on for years.  Just about EVERYTHING shuts down when it ices.  Except for the hospitals, fire stations, and police stations.  So, I have to make the very scary trek all the way into downtown.  A 40 minute drive, turned into 2 hours.  So, 4 hours total on the road.  This year, I had the brilliant idea to take the DART rail, so all I had to do was make it to the station.  Not so much, DART rail even closes on ice days.  UGH!  I am so thankful I made it to and fro with out incident. 
My kids LOVE the word ICE.  It means school is out!!!  WOOHOO!  That is coming from them because what they do not realize is that this just means school goes longer into the summer!  But, I think they spent more time outside over the past several days than they have on nice, beautiful days.  It was FREEZING COLD and they are just out there like it is a summer day.  They would come in for a few minutes and warm their hands by the fire and out they would go again.  Clayton was out exploring the neighborhood with his BFF.  
 The craziest part of this ice storm was the trees.  Driving home from work, I saw so many trees that had been pulled down by the weight of the ice.  Our only tree took a hit.  We lost half of it, but it made for some good firewood.



 This boys smile....


It was soooo cold outside that I just watched the boys from the front window along with Daisy.  Oliver lost his coat so he is just fine and dandy in a sweatshirt.  I don't even know.....
I kept seeing pictures of lines at the grocery store and there being no food left.  It was almost like it was the end of the world.  Joel went out to just get us some bread, bananas and milk and he came home with the last two loaves of bread, no milk and no bananas.  I feel really blessed though.  There were so many people without power for several days.  Craziness.

The worst part of the whole thing is that my half marathon that I have been training for was cancelled.  I have worked so hard for this moment.  Such a disappointment.   Did I mention that I do not like the Ice?

No comments: