"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Thursday, January 16, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

The start of the year has been hard.  I have had to do a lot of surrendering to God.  The only thing I know how to do right now.  I have found peace in doing just that.  I have learned over the past three years that God is sovereign and who am I to tell him how to run things.  So, I decided that I am going to have a word for this year and a verse.  This year's word is SURRENDER.  And my verse for this year is:

Matthew 16:24.  I like The Message translation. "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead.  You're not in the driver's seat; I am.  Don't run from suffering; embrace it.  Follow me and I'll show you how.  Self-help is no help at all.  Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self.  What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself?  What could you ever trade your soul for?"

"Deny yourself, pick up your cross and follow me" NIV

Good Quote: "Relax, and let God be God" -Joyce Meyer

I have a list of resolutions.  Some for spiritual growth, some for personal growth and some family goals.

1. Read the bible in one year.  I found this awesome app that will guide me in doing this.  It has a little devotional with it to.  So far, I have kept up and I love it!

2.  Run 4 half marathons.  This is kind of scary for me since my first REAL one will be in February.

3.  Increase my running pace.

4. Organize my pantry and laundry room.  I am not an organized person naturally.  I wish I had this in me, but it is just not in my genes.  I come by it honestly.  Oh, and if you know my husband, he did not inherit this gene either, so we just are flying by the seat of our pants at all times.  So, truthfully, getting these two rooms organized might be my hardest resolution to conquer.  It might just take me all 12 months.  Actually, we are almost down to only 11 months.

5.  Take a fun family vacay.  In the planning stages now.

6.  Lose 10 pounds. Always a goal.  Never happens.  Still trying to embrace being in my late 30s and accepting a different me.

7.  Make our bedroom a sanctuary for us.  It is always the room that stuff that doesn't have a place goes.  It is the only room that has not been painted or cared for at all.  So, I want to do this for me.  I don't do things for me often.

8.  Once a month, take one of my boys out for a one-on-one date.  I have always intended to do this, but never have followed through.

9.  Read the Chronicles of Narnia with Oliver.  He loves for me to read to him and he needs this separate time for just him.  It is just something that fills his cup.

10. Make beds and unload dishwasher every morning.  So far, I have kept up with this!!  HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT.  It is amazing made beds will do for your day.

Looking forward to a great year!




No comments: